Degrees Offered: M.F.A.
S. McGowan., S. Walsh.
A. Bourges, W. Brown, I.Drljaca.
MFA in Film Production
The Film Program in the Department of Theatre and Film offers the Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A.) degree in Film Production.
The Program is a two-year course of resident study.
Applicants must satisfy the general requirements set by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Applicants to the program require, as a prerequisite, an undergraduate degree in film production or the equivalent in experience and a portfolio of completed films as primary creator (director, writer or producer).
For specific application requirements and deadlines, please see the Film Program.
A total of 36 credits:
- 12 credits from:
- 533 (6) Advanced Problems in Directing
- and FIPR 534 (6) Advanced Producing for Film and Television.
- Thesis (12/18 credits):
- The 12-credit thesis requirement can normally be met with the completion of a professionally finished film 20 minutes long (shorter works to be considered on a case-by-case basis) and full written documentation and evaluation of the process.
- Productions longer than 40 minutes may be eligible for 18 credits on a case-by-case basis
- 6-12 credits of electives, which may include:
- FIPR 535 (6) Advanced Alternative Cinema Production
- FIPR 536 (6) Advanced Documentary Development and Production
- CRWR 506 (6) Advanced Writing of Drama for Screen and Television
- CRWR 514 (3/6) D Advanced Writing for Television I
- CMST 534 (3/6) D Seminar in Film Studies