The Department of Theatre and Film offers the program leading to the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Film Production, consisting of four years of concentrated study.
In this program, students learn the techniques, practices, and theory of filmmaking. There are options to study more deeply in the areas of documentary filmmaking, alternative cinema, and screenwriting.
Students may apply directly from high school for first year admission, or may apply at the end of their first year of studies to transfer into the program for the second year. See Admission and Transfer. Applicants must submit a portfolio, resume, and letter of intent.
The number of available places is strictly limited: application and submission of supporting materials is required. Preference will be given to students with strong evidence of creative ability. Prospective applicants should consult the Film Program Film Production website concerning admission requirements, application deadline, and current course offerings, or contact the Film Program office.
All students enrolled in the Bachelor of Fine Arts program will be reviewed annually to determine whether they should continue in their course of study.
Students in the BFA in Film Production must complete the Writing Component of the Writing and Research Requirement (see B.F.A. Degree Requirements) within their first 54 credits or, for transfer students, in the first Winter Session of study. Within the minimum of 120 total credits required for the program, students must also include the following courses:
Normally completed in Year 1
- 6 credits: CINE 100 or FIPR 101 (with a minimum mark of 72% in each) and THFL 100.
Normally completed in Year 2:
- 12 credits: FIPR 230, 234, CRWR 206, 306.
- 6 credits of FIPR 233.
- 6 credits from CINE 200-level courses.
- A minimum average of 72% for all courses is required to progress in the program.
- 18 credits: FIPR 333, 337, 338, and 339
- 9 credits: FIPR 433
- 6 credits chosen from FIPR 330, 399, 434, 435, 436, 437, 439, 469
- At least 6 credits chosen from CINE 300, 331, 332, 334, 336, 338, 430, 432, 434, 436, 438, ASIA 354, 355, 356, RMST 452, MUSC 345, NORD 411, SLAV 307, SPAN 404, THTR 443.1
1Additional courses may be approved on a year-to-year basis.