UBC recognizes that students may encounter opportunities or circumstances that could result in a request for deferred admission. Applicants who are offered admission to full-time study in the first year of a degree program may request a deferral for one year (or, for undergraduate students only, two years in cases of mandatory military service).
Deferred Admission for Graduate Students:
Please see Deferred Admission on the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website.
Deferred Admission for Undergraduate Students:
To be eligible for a deferral, the applicant must:
- Accept the offer of admission by paying a non-refundable registration deposit;
- Submit a final transcript or report of grades;
- Fulfill any conditions of the offer of admission;
- Have received a final offer of admission;
- Not be registered in any courses; and
- Submit an Admission Deferral Request to Undergraduate Admissions by August 15.
- Please refer to Deferring Your Admission page for detailed instruction.
Deferral will not be available to applicants who wish to attend another post-secondary institution. Applicants who attend another institution during their deferral will lose their guaranteed space and will have to reapply for admission.
Deferral may not be possible for students seeking admission to limited enrolment programs.
Students who are granted permission to defer their admission will still have to satisfy any conditions of the admission offer, such as completion of courses in progress, maintenance of a satisfactory academic performance, and graduation from secondary school. They must apply to take up the deferred offer by the application deadline of the following year. They must register in the program and at the campus to which they were admitted or will be required to re-apply and compete with the new applicant pool for a space.